Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Paint, Paint, and more Paint!

Well, we are supposed to open Barn 214 on Saturday March 10th (named for Habakuk 2:14 which says "For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea."). It's a building with a large atrium, and 6 rooms that can sleep up to 6 people in each room. And each room is decorated in a style consistent (we think) with a different continent of the world (excluding Antarctica). We have Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Europe, and Australia. You can see pictures at http://camptejas.smugmug.com/gallery/2544626#P-1-9, and you can see "live" webcams (they actually update every 30 seconds or something like that) at http://www.camptejas.org/tejas/meadows_camera. We only have the webcams working during the day, so if you're looking at this at night, you'll see the last recorded image from the day (at 6pm or something like that).

Anyway, we still have much to do. I have very little to do with the construction, but tonight was the second night that I went down to help paint. I felt like I was being counterproductive at times, because every time you paint one color next to a piece of wood or wall that is another color, you'll have to go back and do touch up painting to cover up what you just did. At least in my case you will, because we don't have anything taped off to prevent me from painting red paint where black paint is supposed to be. But I guess in the long run the painting that I did saved someone 1/2 an hour or so (even though it took me 2 hrs).

Did I mention that i don't like to paint that much? I think the year of remodeling that we did to our house in St. Louis turned me against paint. They say that paint is the cheapest and most effective tool for re-decorating. But I highly dislike detail work, and no matter how big the wall is, at some point it comes to the point where it meets up with the ceiling or another wall...and unless the whole rooms is one solid color, you have detail work involved. (If I could type the sound of someone throwing up right here, I would type it out - that's how I feel about detail work).

But I really like the finished product. So once it's done, I might figure out how to put some pictures up on my blog...even though, as I mentioned earlier, I really had nothing to do with its construction, design, or anything worth mentioning. But it's a fun building and our guests are going to love it!

No comments: