Sunday, March 25, 2007

Metro Redneck??

Okay, so my sister's fiance' (Clay) told my mom (as he was on his way to a monster truck show) that he was a "metro redneck". He likes to hunt, fish, work on cars, go to monster truck shows, etc, but he's also an accountant working in the city, so he's in a tie most days of the week (I think). I was trying to figure out if a "metro redneck" could exist, or if it was too much of an oximoron. But after my first experience holding and shooting a gun (and hitting the target!), I'm beginning to come around to Clay's way of thinking.


Matt, who works at the camp and is a self-professed Redneck (no metro about it), let us shoot his .22 rifle (it was his grandfather's gun). We were aiming at an empty oil can about 40 yards away (give or take a few). Anyway, I think I shot 3 times, and I actually hit the target once. (I had to first figure out which eye to close - I know, that sounds ridiculous, but I really was closing my right eye instead of my left when I first fired). Paul also tried it out - he hit the target 3 times (out of 4 tries???). Anyway, here are some pictures.


(My pre-shooting dance)



I was surprised that there wasn't any kickback or anything like that - it was very similar to shooting a pop-gun that you get at a toy store...which is kinda scary.
I was also surprised how much I enjoyed trying to hit the target. I don't think I would be up for hunting live animals, but the target shooting was a challenge that I liked.




This was where I hit. You'll see below that Paul hit very close to mine, and then in 2 spots near the top/sides, too.


Reloading...

Then, pop, pop, pop, pop...




You can see the 3rd spot where Paul hit closer to Matt's thumb in this picture (to the right of where I hit)

So maybe the next step into researching this "metro redneck" idea is to go to a monster truck show...anyone know of a place in Texas that I can do that? :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to my world! Yes, this is what Clay does QUITe often and I just do often...well, a lot less than he would like me to, but I give it my best effort! I shoot Clay's .22. It's fun for target practice and you're right- it's just like a pop-gun, no kickback whatsoever. I also like his shot gun for Skeet shooting (you'll have to try that out when you can), it has kick-back but it's a lot more challenging shooting something FLYING in the air. Anyway, i'm off to my "metro" life and going Bowling.

~Rachel

Anonymous said...

Kelli,

I really hate to break it to you, but Sweetie you're living in Texas, wearing jeans/tees most of the time, your next-door neighbors are cows, your baby sister doesn't know to call a baby horse a colt, your husband is proudly wearing an Aggie tee - and your point of pride is it only cost $5!: ain't no Metro to it, you uns are REDNECKS!!

There may be a future hope of returning to a metro life, but right now the verdict is plain:

Redneck!


SE, EQM