Saturday, March 17, 2007

Hobbies...

So I have a blanket that I've been trying to crochet and finish - I had great ambitions of making it to fit on top of a queen bed so that I can use it in the winter over our quilt. But after a year of working on it (or rather, not working on it), I think that if/when I finish it, I will frame it and hang it on the wall as my biggest accomplishment at this point in my life. I did find a use for a freebie tote bag that I got at the Dallas Market (3 days of walking the Dallas Trade Center buildings buying items for our little gift shop, but that's another story in itself). So my blanket has been sitting in this little tote bag since January basically untouched. And before January, I think it was sitting in an Old Navy bag (again, untouched). But before the end of 2007, my goal is to finish this thing. I like the colors - well, really I like the aqua color and the brown color. I put the darker blue in there just for a 3rd color, and some days I like it, and others I don't, but it's staying because I'm definitely not starting over! Here are some pics so you can see what I mean...

Another hobby that I've re-discovered is playing my clarinet. In high school, I practiced almost every day for marching band and then concert band, and in college I played a little - I think I did 2 semesters of concert band. I always enjoyed it. But one day I got busy, and stopped playing. I've kept it with me all these years, though, and about 2 weeks ago I decided to see if I could still play. Turns out, I can. The first few days were a little scary - I think the dogs ran to the other room, and there were definitely some squeaky notes in there, especially as I got higher in octave. But now I'm getting better again. Although my lips are definitely out of shape - I can play for about 15 min and then my lips/cheeks are tired, and I have to take a break. But I hope to build up endurance so I can play longer - I had forgotten how relaxing it is for me. But last night I got it out to play and as I was putting it together, I ripped the cork on the bottom piece, so I couldn't put the bell on. So now my clarinet is in the shop in Austin, and won't be ready until Monday. But when I went to the shop to drop it off, I got a new book (20% off, too). So that will be fun. For all of you reading this that haven't played an instrument before, you probably think I'm crazy. But that's okay.

Here's a thought for those "musicians" out there that play music, but don't compose music (I'm in this category). I went to a music school or intense "camp" of sorts after my junior year of high school at the University of Richmond. Again, those of you who haven't played an instrument, (and maybe those of you who have) probably think I'm super weird. But I can't change my past. And I actually had a good time. All kinds of "artists" were there - those who painted, sang, played instruments, sculpted, danced, etc. All the performing arts.

But back to my thought. One of the guys who painted asked me, "Do you really consider yourself an artist - I mean you didn't write the music - you're just playing what someone else wrote, so how does that make you an artist?" As if throwing paint on a canvas in no particular order or recognizable form makes him an artist (sorry, I never understood that kind of painting). But here's my thought on that: No, I didn't compose it. And I probably never will compose anything because I don't have the desire or skill. But if all those composers (especially the great DEAD ones), composed their music, played their music, but then kept it for themselves and didn't publish it, their "art" would have died with them. And who would appreciate that? But because they did publish it, and I know how to read it and play it, I can in some way keep their art "alive" because it is still appreciated (at least by me, if no one else in my house appreciates my attempts at playing it). And because music can be reproduced so easily, thousands if not millions more people can appreciate it all at once, around the world, because it's not limited to one canvas in one place of the world. And the people who are playing the music (of the DEAD composers), are artists in my book - especially if they can play really well. Anyone else have any thoughts on this? I'm not trying to start a war between the musicians and those who paint - I truly respect painters (and all other artists) because I have no talent in any of those areas. But I just wonder if that was the opinion of one narrow-minded painter, or if all other "artists" think that musicians who play other people's compositions are not really artists.

Okay, off my soap box. Wow, that happened over 10 yrs ago - I guess I really needed to get that off my chest.

Anyway, I think I'm going to try to upload more photos - this time more recent ones. So check back later to see more pictures!

4 comments:

julieree said...

kelli I love your blanket!! you're right those colors are fantastic. I'm just terrible about finishing the crochet projects I start. I have one blanket that's maybe half-done and one shawl that's maybe one-eighth done. If I ever get them finished, I will be surprised!

I like your thoughts about music and art. I think that governor's school dude was a mo-ron. I like to think that art is simply the creation of beauty, in whatever form. It inspires the viewer/audience to feel joy or some other emotion, and fulfills the creator's need for self-expression.
And what does that better than music?

And you put so much of yourself into the interpretation of the dead guy's music. That is an art in itself.

Glad you got out the good old clarinet. I keep trying to talk jennie into practicing her flute more, but it's tough cuz we live in such close proximity to other people. Maybe you'll inspire her to get back at it.

xo

Anonymous said...

Impressionistic art, op art - whatever art, it remains the same. Now music: well, you make that come out according to what your soul tells you at the time you play it. That's creating! Even if from a DEAD man's foundation.
Same with crocheting a maturing blankent.
A very proud of you Mom Biles

Anonymous said...

All this time I have been spending money on warm hats and gloves and to think you could have crochet'd me some! haha. guess I would have ended up waiting until AFTER i graduated from Tech to get those seeing how long it's taking you to finish the blanket! but I do like the blanket :) I think you are crazy for getting your clarinet out! Although, you always seemd to actually ENJOY playing. I like music and listening to orchestra's or soloist etc etc, but never actually enjoyed playing myself (PS: ALTO SAX FOR SALE FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS IT). But the next time i see you (I guess that will be at my WEDDING!! EEK! i'm starting to get super excited about that), you will have to bring it and give us a concert :) LOVE YOU!

~RACHEL

Heather said...

Is a chef's meal invalidated just because he didn't invent the recipe he used? Is a painter's creation worth any less because he/she didn't create the items in the still life? Is an author's novel a pale shadow just because he didn't invent the book? My point is, an artist is simply anyone who can take something - whether it's raw materials or things already created - and make something excellent and/or uniquely beautiful from them.

Music follows this. Each musician has his/her own unique abilities and interpretations of the music. One piece of music can be made to sound soulful, sad, or happy. Even though the notes have already been put together on the page, it takes skill to bring those black and white marks to life in a most excellent way. And there's always room to add a note here, hold a note longer or shorter there, to make it uniquely your own. I hate to bring this up, but what do the judges like to see on American Idol? When the singers make a song their own.

So anyway, that's my two bits.