Sunday, March 18, 2007

Adventures in Sailing...Part 1

Saturday we washed the boat after its long winter on dry land. Then we waxed it, and boy did it make a difference! We don't have a name for our boat yet - I think we're waiting for a memorable experience to occur that will render an appropriate name for her (boats are usually female, right?).

I think I discovered today that I'm really NOT a natural at sailing. I took an 8 week sailing course in 2001 (4 sessions in classroom, 4 sessions on the water), but haven't practiced it since then, and apparently the physics of sailing didn't remain with me. I pretty much turn into a stiff board - I could probably use myself as the rudder I'm so scared. Granted, today was pretty windy - I think the weather channel said winds up to 18 mi/hr. But basically any time the boat gets moving and we tip even slightly, I tense up even more. So I'm only really comfortable when we're sitting still in the water. But I hope that with practice I'll get better at that.
I did almost take off Paul's head, and I hit mine with the boom vang (I think that's the correct terminology). It's the big metal thing that apparently goes "boom" when it hits you in the head - that has to be how it got it's name. Anyway, Paul was trying to raise the mainsail higher (I got it most of the way up, but he had to raise it to the top). I was charged with keeping us level and pointed into the wind so that we wouldn't tip over. But I failed in that mission, and then barely had time to say "Coming about" before the boom was flying over Paul's head, and knocked into my life jacket cushion, which thankfully lessened the blow to my hard head. So we were all fine, but I was definitely shaken up. As we sailed on the lake, I improved, but I was only in charge of the rudder - Paul was in charge of the lines that controlled the boom. I do know that you call them "lines", not "ropes".

Since our camera isn't water proof, I only have pictures of the boat on dry land. But here are a few so you can see what I'm talking about.

It's about a 13 or 14 foot long sailboat - 1973, so it's definitely seen some years that even we haven't witnessed. But she is good enough for us! Here's the boat at Lake Somerville - it was an overcast day, but perfect for sailing...if only I had the courage for perfect (i.e. windy) sailing days.
Okay, the picture below doesn't seem that ominous - pretty normal sailboat pose, right? Well, take note of the top of the photo. The electric wire is behind the mast. And we had to back up to get the boat into the water. And we didn't look up or scrutinize this photo before we backed up....so yeah, the mast hit the electric wire as we were backing up. I was at the wheel, and Paul was walking alongside the boat because he was volunteering to stand in the chilly water while I parked the car & trailer. Anyway, I suddenly noticed that the boat lurched forward on the trailer as we were backing down, and the lines holding the mast went slack. It took a few minutes for us to look up, but as soon as we did, we realized that we had made a big mistake!!! So note for future sailing trips - check for low hanging wires across the boat ramp and make sure to put the mast up AFTER you clear the wires!
Paul was my hero today - I got to go sailing and really only got a few drops of water on me. He stood in the water and held the boat as we went out, and came in. And he sat in front so he got all the spray off the bow of the boat.
And I just noticed the shirt he's wearing today - no, he didn't go to Texas A&M. But it was a $5 longsleeve t-shirt and we're surrounded by Aggies so it was a safe shirt to buy (you definitely do not wear any Longhorn shirts around camp!).

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Even though I am her hero, she wouldn't edit her blog to add my comments about the electric line.

To save face and tell you how the "Biles" usually do things...

I did notice the electric line before we started getting everything ready, but I thought we would be plenty fine. That was my last thought until we realized what we did!

The mast was 2 INCHES too tall for the line and so we had to take it back down, back the boat up past the line and the put the mast back up.

We are safe, don't worry moms and dads, we are trained professsionals and you should not try this at home.

Anonymous said...

The way I figure it, Paul is wise enough to know that if you have to get cold and/or wet on these initial journeys, he might lose his first mate! Smart son I've got! Mom Smith

Anonymous said...

I'm not so sure who is the smarter one in this situation; the one who noticed and didn't do anything about it, or the one who did not notice it at all. Hmmm....tough debate. Btw- I have decided to procrastinate writing a paper a little bit longer by posting a comment on ever posting you have. Aren't you excited?!

~RACHEL

Jennie said...

Ack! I didn't know y'all had a sailboat!! I'm way jealous. Now why didn't you have that last summer when I was visiting you? I mean, really, Kelli, I was not adequately amused by the pool, lake, zipline, climbing wall etc, etc. :p

And I'm seeeeething with jealousy that you've got spring already. We got snow last weekend. ARGH! I'm thinking it's getting on time to move back south again. :)