Sunday, August 3, 2008

Christmas in August!

So after I took those sewing classes in March, I decided I wanted to make Christmas stockings for 2008. Before summer started I found a stocking pattern I liked (McCall's 4990) and then found some fabric that I hoped would look good together. Somehow during the middle of the summer I found time to make them.

I had a few mistakes along the way so I got pretty experienced at seam-ripping. This was one of them. I was so proud of my straight seam and lining up the edges so well, and I even tied the knots at both ends before I realized I'd sewn it backwards (yes I have to tie knots because my machine doesn't backstitch, but I still like my machine better than the modern ones).
Here's a closeup of the red/green fabric.

Here's a closeup of the fabric that I used for the cuff. (I didn't want too many flowers so I thought some squares might help). :)
For the lining, I used a black scrolled fabric. Paul originally thought it was a weird selection, but I think it's grown on him now that he sees the whole thing put together. I wanted the inside to be dark so it's a surprise when you pull out the presents.And I made sure that you could fit DVDs in them. You can actually fit 4 in at once.
Here's the finished product. Paul said we should leave them up from now til Christmas. I'm kinda proud of them, so I don't mind leaving them up for a while. But I'm not ready to think about Christmas quite yet since we still have 2 weeks of summer camp to finish!

2 comments:

julieree said...

Kelli, they're beautiful! And I love the squares fabric, nice little modern touch. Very impressed with your massive sewing skillz. xo

Heather said...

Very cool looking. Great fabric selection. 5 stars.